Know what our dogs are doing at all times.
- Never let our dogs roam uncontrolled.
- Fence an area off on our properties for our dogs that they can't get out of and kiwi can't get into.
- Use a short non-retractible lead when walking our dogs. Recently in Opito Bay a kiwi was killed on the roadside by a dog being walked on a retractible lead.
- When out and about on the peninsula, keep our dogs on a lead at all times—a kiwi can be caught and killed in seconds. They can shelter in rather obvious places at times. (Under upturned dinghies in Opito Bay is an example.)
- Take special care at night if you haven't got a fenced area. Accompany your dog on a lead if they need to go outside.
- If you lose your dog, or see a roaming dog on the peninsula:
Call the FNDC Dog Control Officer on 24-hour Freephone 0800 920 029 or (09) 401 5200.
Post a photo and or description and location on Northland Grapevine and Dogwatch Facebook pages
Call us 027 243 1777 we have volunteers that may also be able to assist.
- Our dogs are not allowed in Akeake Scenic Reserve or Rangitane Scenic Reserve.
- Make sure we are familiar with the Dog Management Bylaw 2018 and the Dog Managment Policy 2018